Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lessons Learned in Philadelphia


My blogging knows no limits these days. This time I come to you from the Philadelphia International Airport, in scenic Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Sitting here in this desolate terminal really makes me think about the storied sports franchises of this city, and their recent collapses. The Eagles, called “The Dream Team” not too long ago, can't get out of their own way. The Phillies, who led the majors in games won during the regular season, were just eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. And it makes me think. It really does. It's hard to live up to expectations. It's hard to do the things that people expect you to do and someone's always looking over your shoulder, trying to knock you off the top. As you've heard me say before, heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Just ask Dave Frothingham. I really did think it was his year to take down the Open Division. I've ranted before about how deserving he is of a point series win. He is the nicest, hardest working guy we've got in our club. Between you and me, I was rooting for him all season long. But, just like those Eagles and Phillies, Dave found out how hard it is to live up to the expectations. 2011 wasn't his year.

Chris Young, however, did manage to take down his first ever Green Mountain Points Series win. He's deserving of credit and praise galore. Young Bucks has had a tremendous season this year. He also becomes the first person not named Johnny Betts to win a GMPS title. That's heady stuff right there. I think it puts him into a different stratosphere of Vermont Disc Golfers. Lots of people like to think they're the shit when it comes to playing good disc golf, but only two guys out there can say the have a GMPS Open title.


Despite my earlier prediction of Chris Young not being able to handle the pressure, he did it. He got hot, stayed hot, and held off a strong Open field. He's got a fancy wooden trophy and he can definitely say he's the best disc golfer in the state of Vermont. (Matt Idol may beg to differ, but I'd say put your money where your mouth is.) So, I'm sure the title and the trophy are great, but there's probably nothing Chris Young likes more than proving me wrong. Congrats, sir, and excellent work.

James Sweat. Wow. How about the season he had? He's an impressive dude who I also think was very deserving of an AM 1 title. After the battle he waged last year he manned up and fought the good fight again this year. He won and in order to do so he had to navigate through Jon Moorer's meteoric rise, Matty O.'s new and improved distance disc golf game, and Seth McQuade's late season attack. It wasn't easy for him to do, but the big man did it. It probably feels good to be the Best Amateur Disc Golfer in Vermont. The Legend of Rang Duce adds another chapter.

Andy Powell and Al Rosa. Hi guys, how are you? Did you think I'd forget to mention you? Of course not, I'd never do that. Take some time and bask in the glory of your wins. You deserve it, you really, really do. You've won your division, which takes a season of commitment, dedication, and practice. Again, it's not easy to do. Once your time for basking ends though, it's time to join a real division. Move up, move up, move up. Or, in Al's case, start the new Super Division that I hear is coming soon.

Thanks for reading, everyone. You'll probably see some more wrap up talk coming soon and keep your eyes peeled for the Birdies announcement. I think it's been a great start for Circle Three this year and I appreciate you all being here for it.

Lastly, a big thanks to the talented and amazing Taylor Johnson for his logo design skills. I do appreciate it.

Photo credit: Gretchen Kruesi        

No comments:

Post a Comment