Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Disc Golf Vacation's All I Wanna Do

Keeping up with a fancy, high-end disc golf blog like this one is very hard work. There's always a lot of drama, the point series is forever changing, I'm always looking for the right story, and people are all of a sudden asking me to write more and more. So, its no surprise that sometimes I want to escape. Sometimes I just need to get away.

And let's be honest, I already live in Vermont, so for the most part, I'm already away from the rest of the world. But, its not enough and I need to get further away. So, I drive hours and hours away from Vermont, through New Hampshire and into Maine. But, just getting to Maine isn't enough. I drive through Maine to the coast, which is really far from civilization, but its still not far enough. So I get on a boat and travel an hour to an even more remote location. And I'm sitting on the boat thinking, finally, an escape from the madness that is Green Mountain Disc Golf.

And then, like in a dream, I see a familiar figure. For a second, I think to myself, “Hey, I think I recognize that guy.” But how could that possibly be? And then he calls across to me, “Did you bring your discs?” Somehow, someway, Todd Holmes is standing there, on that dock, in that remote location off the Maine coast.

I'm thinking I'm pretty cool, at this point, by the way, because I've lugged a practice basket to this remote island that's only accessible by boat. But that's not good enough for the Good Doctor. That's not how he rolls. Three times he says something to me before it registers. Because it just doesn't click. It doesn't add up. What he says to me is, “I have a disc golf course on the island.”

And so it is. Todd Holmes doesn't stay good at disc golf on accident. He lives and breathes disc golf. He builds courses at his vacation home. This man knows no limits to his disc golf addiction.

The course is amazing. It's beautiful, just like the property it sits on. So, despite ruining my disc golf free vacation, I have to thank Dr. Holmes for allowing us to enjoy a course he's worked so hard on.

My advice to you is to keep your eyes peeled and keep your head on a swivel. You never know where a GMDGC member is going to pop up and you never know where one more secret course is going to be hidden.

One last thing.  Todd actually had his dad come out on the course to help him find a lost disc.  During the round.  With a weed whacker.  Like I said, there's no length this guy won't go to for the love of the sport.

1 comment:

  1. The envy I feel right now cannot be properly expressed!

    That has to be one of the coolest things I've heard in a while.

    Glad you guys are enjoying it and Bravo Dr. Holmes... Bravo!

    ReplyDelete