Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Young Bucks Interview

Chris Young currently leads the Green Mountain Points Series. He also happens to be one of the club's most prolific trash talkers. He was nice enough to sit down with Circle Three to discuss his disc golf past, what it feels like to sit atop the division, and what the year may hold.



Circle Three: I'll start you off with a softball. How did you get into disc golf?

Chris Young: I was first introduced to disc golf in Colorado in 1998. I played barefoot with an ultimate lid on Western State College campus with some friends that went to school there. I moved to Eugene,Oregon in 2002 and played my first tournament shortly after. I was hooked immediately! Sports were always the biggest passion in my life growing up. I played competitive baseball, soccer and basketball. I actually injured my arm permanently pitching and am extremely grateful to be able to throw discs today with the current state of my elbow. So, I began to play more and more tournaments in Oregon and also began to watch and play with some of the best players in the world who happened to be living in Eugene at the time (Feldberg, Jenkins, Andrew Rich to name a few). I became a member of the PDGA and started to play several tournaments a month and have continued on that path till this day.

C3: Wow, heavy stuff. Let's stick with the basics for a minute. What's the one piece of advice you'd give someone who's trying to get better at disc golf?

Young: Practice, practice, practice, practice. Play with better players. Watch what they do, ask them questions. Try to have good footwork. I see so many new players that are using so much upper body energy to try and heave a disc and they are completely missing the footwork that goes into a good throw. Follow through is another thing to keep in mind and to work on. Play lots and lots of courses and lots and lots of different events. Work on all aspects of the game. Develop a side arm and a back hand. Work on putting and approaching. Work on throwing upside down shots. Stay focused and have fun!

C3: For a minute there I wasn't sure if you were giving me advice for improving my crappy disc golf, or just speaking generally. Anyway, good advice. I like it. You're a man of many nicknames. CY, Young Bucks, and Big Bucks to name a few. Do you mind? What do you prefer?

Young: I love all the nicknames and believe me I have had many growing up. Younger, Phatts, Cy, Youngbucks, Big Bucks, #1 (I lived with another Chris Young in Colorado and we had to distinguish ourselves so I was CY #1 and he was CY #2). It's all for fun and so call me whatever you would like, I don't mind a bit. I have to say that CY has been the most widely used though.

C3: Wow. CY #1. That's rich. You really have been on top for a while, haven't you? On that note, you're on top of the point series right now. How's that feel?

Young: It's something I took serious this year and something I really focused in on. I was 3rd in 2009 and 2nd last year and this year I want to win the GMPS. Killington really gave me some confidence to continue to do well and I need to stay focused for the last 3 events and finish strong. I feel like I have turned a corner within the last year and it feels good. I bounced around quite a bit since 2002 living in Colorado,Oregon and Vermont. I played lots of courses at different elevations and my game has been up and down because of that. I have been back in Vermont since 2007 and I felt like it was time to start playing the Vermont courses the way I felt I should be.

C3: Well said, it's hard to argue with that kind of confidence. But, it's not easy out there. Who's the one person you're really worried about this year?

Young:  I am worried about Emmett Cosgrove and Dave Frothingham. I am worried about them for several reasons. First of all they are both playing very good golf this year. Second, they are both very talented players with a lot of tournament experience. Third, they are both due for a Win,especially Emmett who has yet to Win a GMPS event but has a string of 2nd's and 3rd's. I think at this point the three of us are in the hunt still and it is anyone's game with 3 events still left. Froth probably has the hardest road to get the title, but it's still in reach. I do have to say that Emmett is still very much in the hunt and I am going to do what I can to hold him off.


C3: No mention of Mr. Betts. I wonder if that's because of his words just a few days ago. I'll tell you what though. Right here. Right now. Lay it out for us. Are you going to hold on and win the division?

Young: I believe that I have the best chance out of anyone to take the title. If I can win at Wrightsville I believe that would catapult me into Lyndon with a nice sized lead in the Points Series and a little cushion to relax and play well. Last year at Wrightsville Betts overcame a 7 hole playoff against me and took the win. That left a bad taste in my mouth and I am ready for another shot at the Win. Right now for me I need to win Wrightsville and if I can do that I believe I can win the 2011 GMPS.

C3: Yeah. Good disc golfers are confident and confident disc golfers are good. How about the youngsters? Who do you consider to be up and coming in Vermont?

Young: There are a ton of up and coming Vermont disc golfers and it's awesome to see. With Emmett and Brock moving back to Vermont recently we have some great competition in the Pro division this year. Becker is back from injury and beginning to get into form, Frothingham is playing better then ever, Jeff Spring is starting to settle into the Pro ranks and you never know when the likes of Betts, Hess, Matt Idol, Ian Thurston or Loren Thompson are going to show up. As far as "Up and Coming,” I think Jon Moorer is about ready to start playing Open and I think that Rang Duce and JRapp should not be far behind. All three of these players have it in them to play at the highest level and are not far from making the jump. It will take some time for them to settle in to the Pro division but that is fully expected of any player moving from Am to Pro. Matty O and Seth McQuade are two other players playing very good golf this season and I would not be surprised to see them test the Pro ranks before the season is over.


C3: Before the season's over? I love it. I've been telling Moorer for a long time that he should move up. Most of the Twin Falls crew probably should. That might be a topic for another time though. Any last words?

Young: We have grown Vermont DG and the GMDGC to record numbers this year and it is truly amazing to see all the new players enjoying the sport and seeing countless amounts of volunteer work payoff. I want to thank everyone that helped at a work day or convinced a friend to join the club or applied for a grant or improved a course or donated to an event. I am very,very proud to be a part of this community and everyone that works hard to make Vermont DG what it is. Thank You!

C3: And thanks to you Chris. It'll be fun to watch and see how the season ends up.





If you have suggestions for our next interview, please leave a comment below.

3 comments: