Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Looking Ahead to Calais


Well, here I sit on July 26th, thinking about what a shake-up we've had in the Pro Open Division so far. Chris Young is hot and there's no mistaking it. Not only has he had back-to-back point series wins, but he's also leading the way on trash talking. He's talked smack on Becker for a while, but now he's bringing the thunder to the New Hampshire players.

*Speaking of which, is Mike Habets really going to move back to Am 1? That just seems disrespectful.

*Murray's making a comeback for the North Calais Open. Do you think he'll make it through both rounds? Calais is hard, like Sugarbush is, so who knows? Also, if I haven't DNF'ed at a tournament this year, there's no way he should have.

*Jim Conroy. Where you been? So sorry I'll be missing your Calais appearance.

*I learned something important this week. Scott's last name is not pronounced “Mool-tahn” like I thought it was. It's actually pronounced like the word for lava... “molten.” So now you know too. Do you think he can keep up the molten play he's had recently?

*The Frothecy is serious about this tournament. He played the shit out of Calais last weekend and won't even get in on the side bet, as not to be distracted. Focus, Daniel-san, focus.

*Dave Carter thinks he's ready for a win at Calais. I'm not as convinced, but I really like his confidence. He does play that course incredibly well. As does Aaron Moore, so watch out for those two locals.

*My early picks: I like Brock Pitzer at Calais. It's his course. He played there before I even knew what disc golf was. He'll be looking for a triumphant return. Watch for Spring and Young, but the respective pressures of TD'ing and leading the pack will make for a rough weekend. Frothy will be in the money too, maybe coming down to the wire with Brock at the end.

AM 1 gets tricky. I mean, I won't be there, so that kind of leaves the top of the field wide open. To be serious though, Jon Moorer has shot lights recently. Calais is a tricky place for him though. Carter and Aaron Moore are locals who've played it hot recently. Josh Rappeport wants in on the top finishers also. Matty O. plays great placement golf and that's always good at Calais. But, I think Rang Duce has one coming. He's been down and out at times recently but I love that he plays great tournament golf.

Also, Scott, since you corrected me about your name, let me make a little correction of my own. Rang Duce.  It's “rang,” like a bell, not "range." “He rang the bell to get some assistance from the clerk.” Rang Duce hardly makes sense, but Range Duce doesn't make any sense. Thanks.

I'd make some AM 2 picks, but you all have ruined that.

Have a great weekend.   


Photo credit: Taylor Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment