Monday, July 11, 2011

An Open Letter to Andy Powell

Dear Andy,

I couldn't help but notice you were asking for other divisions, like Advanced Masters, Rec, and AM 2 to be recognized and that you also wanted to speak up for those who were yet to be represented. I hear you. But, I know that secretly you just wanted me to write about you. You wanted to get famous on the Internets.

So, I'll do it this time. I'll swallow my journalistic spirit for finding the right angle and the good story, and I'll write about whatever it is you wish. I'll run through every division and give you my thoughts. Maybe when I finish you have a family reunion update you'd like me to bang out, or maybe an article about your dog that I could write for you. Maybe I could finish up that book report you haven't gotten to.

But, don't get used to this. And this doesn't just go for Andy. This goes for all of you. Want to get famous on the Internets? Want to send your mom a link to an article where someone mentions you? Well, then, put on your big boy pants, practice your putts, play often, (quit your job if you have to, as I've previously advised), and go Pro. Play for all the money and all the glory or don't expect some schmuck to write about you online. Or, get your own crappy blog that twelve or thirteen people read and write about whatever it is you'd like.

Now, you're going to ask me, “But what about the mentions you make of AM 1?” Well, I'll tell you what, that shit is hot right now, it's my blog, and I'll write about whatever I'd like.

So, here we go. I'll put the pride aside and tell you what I know.

*Pro Women: Exciting division. The spread sheet I'm looking at is empty. We have no Pro Women. That's a problem, boys. This right here is the underlying problem with disc golf.

*Pro Masters: James Beaulieu is killing it. Seriously, he's in a league of his own. A one man division. Awesome. No disrespect to James, because he really does kill it and helps this sport immensely, but let's get rid of one person divisions.

*Advanced Women: Is this thing on? Does anyone read all of this? Why do so few women play this sport?

*Intermediate Men: Andy, did you skip right down to this section or did you read everything else in between? Anyway, no joke, Andy is currently in the lead for AM 2. Murray Junod seemed to have a tight grip on the division but Andy crept his way up, taking the lead after a win at Killington. Nice job, Andy. Big ups also go to Seth McQuade who made that scary mid-season jump to AM 1. It's gutsy and I like it. Nice work.

You know what though? I don't think you can even imagine how the season's going to wrap up. I can explain what I mean with three letters... M....Z.....A. That's right the MZA. Kevin Mize. I've seen him play recently and I can tell you he's ready for greatness. That and he's got some Andy Powell voodoo dolls, so all should be good. Devico, Moulton, Ira, Zabawa, I'll be looking at you to make things interesting at the end of the season. Win a tournament and really mix things up.

*Advanced Masters: The one person division that actually has fourteen people in it. Al Rosa, are you worried about the competition? Are you getting scared yet? Nervous? For those of you who don't study the Advanced Masters scores as often as I do, I'll let you in on a little secret. Al has a 220 point lead. And that's between him and the second place contestant, Mr. Gary Stansfield. That's about all I have to say about that right now.

*Rec: You gotta love the fact that we're growing the sport in all kinds of ways around here. Philosophically, I disagree with the Rec division having a point series, but that's a conversation for a different time. (But seriously, doesn't recreational mean that you're not competing? Maybe I'm just dumb). And I'm not disrespecting the Rec division players. More power to you. Keep Rec'ing it up for now and next year you can sneak up on Andy Powell and beat him in AM 2.

Tristan Whitehouse has a bit of a commanding lead over Jayce Slesar in the series. Jayce took down Killington, so nice work on that. Tristan, sorry man, but he's a kid. So, you better make sure to lock this one down. Think about Matty O.'s game. It's boring, boring disc golf but boy oh boy is it effective. Watch him, channel your inner Matty O., throw it straight down the fairway, and win this thing. Or, Jayce, you can take the same advice and try and knock him down from below.

So there it is. Your full divisional update in two parts. I've wasted a good chunk of my day, how about you all? Before I go, I should thank Andy for being such a good sport. Thanks. And seriously, from now on we only talk about the Pros and maybe some top Ams. Like it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment