Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mayone is the One

Calais Gold
Going into the Calais weekend, I had given you my top five candidates to take down the Pro Division. I told you that Jeff Spring, Chris Young, Mike Habets, Johnny Betts, and Sean Bleything had a chance at winning. As usual, the Circle Three Predictions were a little bit off. The story of the day, at least from our perspective up north, was Chris Mayone. His scores of 66 and 69 were good enough for a first place tie in Pro Open and a subsequent playoff. Although Mayone did not prevail in said playoff, he did put forth an outstanding performance, one good enough to surprise many of us (and himself) as well as earn the Circle Three Headline.

Once again, Vermont was plagued by the last minute out-of-town addition who took down the Pro field. This time around it was former Vermont regular Pete Johnson. He absolutely crushed Calais Golds on the first round, shooting a 61 and grabbing a five stroke lead on the next closest Pro heading into round two. Johnson's second round was a little more down to earth, at 74 strokes. That allowed Mayone and his steady play to claw his way back for the playoff. Although Johnson did prevail on the day, Chris Mayone prevailed in our hearts.

Mayone is an interesting player. He's eligible to play in either Pro Masters or Pro Grandmasters, if he so chose. Plus, he's coming off some surgery, so no one would complain if he hid in one of the age protected divisions. But, that's not Mayone's style. He's a big boy who plays big boy disc golf, so for him, it's Pro Open or nothing. And that's commendable.

I have to touch on the fact that I didn't include him in my Calais prediction. I kind of felt bad after he had such a great day. Was it unfair of me to skip right over him? For a minute, I thought so. Then I found out that Mayone wasn't even confident enough in himself to enter the Pro Side Pot. So, if he wasn't even rooting for himself, then I shouldn't feel so bad not picking him to win.

Either way, props to Chris Mayone. He worked his way through two rounds at a very challenging course. And as Chris Young said, he did it “very smoothly.” Nice work, Mayone. Months ago I said I'd be happy to give you some props if you earned it, so here you are.

Bleything, sampling some of the finer things.
And then...

*Although the Pro Division had some shakeups, the top 3 remain the same. Jeff Spring is in 1st with 416.33 points, Chris Young is a close 2nd with 403.65 points and Habets remains in 3rd with 349.75. I should note that Habets had his best finish (netting 76.92 points) since winning Pinnacle. Maybe he's been reading this blog. Anyway, the top five is rounded out with a resurgent Dave Frothingham in 4th (325.53 points) and the ever steady James Beaulieu in 5th (287.77 points).

*This season, and consequently each tournament still remaining, is really starting to mean something. We've finished 7 of the Green Mountain Point Series events and only 3 remain. For those Pros who want to make a move, time is running out. And let's not forget that Jeff Spring is the reigning Wrighstville Open champ, so I doubt he'll be giving that one away without a legendary battle.

*Rivalry Watch. I owe you a few updates on the Rivalry Watch. I was neglectful and didn't square up our results after the LPO, so we'll do that and then move onto the Calais wrap-up. It's suffice to say that those disc golfers I was beating up on early in the season have had enough of my blathering and are ready to win the Rivalry Watch. Results are much closer than they used to be.

So, going in to the LPO, my record was a respectable 10-6. My score on the day for the Sugarbush courses was a pretty lame 124. I was easily bested by Justin DeVico and Seth McQuade. I beat Ira Divoll (Thanks, Ira!) and we didn't see Spencer Weatherholt, Jim Conroy, Dave Carter or Andy Powell at the LPO. So, on the day, I only had 3 rivals present and 2 of them beat me. That puts me at 1-2 on the day and 11-8 on the season (after LPO).

Calais, however, was filled with rivals. I finished the day with a pretty poor 162. That means that Jim Conroy beat me. Seth McQuade, who won AM 1, obviously beat me. Ira Divoll placed in the money, and beat me, as did Justin DeVico. Spencer Weatherholt got me by a stroke, and I was fortunate enough to play the second round with him and see it with my own two eyes. Thankfully Dave Carter was nice enough to DNF and gift me a win. So, at Calais, I got destroyed. I was 1-5 on the day. Now I'm 12-13, the first time I've had a losing record against the rivals this year.

Nice work, boys, but thankfully the season ain't over yet.

Spencer, hitting good putts right in my face.

*Pro Prediction Follow Up: I picked Spring/Young/Bleything for the win/place/show. Spring and Young didn't have enough to hang tough at Calais, but Bleything did end up in third. So, my predictions weren't legendary, but if you think you would have picked Johnson/Mayone/Bleything ahead of time, then you're just kidding yourself.

*AM 1. Yes, I almost forgot about this one. I played the first round with Seth McQuade, who wasn't very happy with his disc golfing and talked about quitting and caddying for his wife. I was trying to convince him to drop me off at the Three Penny Tap Room before the second round started. Neither on of those things happened, and instead, McQuade came back from behind in the second round and won the division by two strokes. Nice work, Seth. That'll shake up the AM 1 division race. However, we're not going to dive into that today. The work on the street is that Chris Young is going to be bringing us an AM 1 follow-up later this week. Until then, we'll hold off on the AM 1 analysis.

*D(NF) Carter. That is all.

*Calais. What a special place. The course always looks immaculate, I think, but this time it was especially fantastic. The perfect weather didn't hurt, but the time and energy that goes into that course is really legendary. I'd like to extend a special thanks to all the folks who work hard there, but especially to Paul Olander. Paul is the real godfather of disc golf in Vermont, even though I throw that term around a lot. He does so much to make our sport and his course fantastic. Thanks again, Paul.

*Aaron Moore. What a nice guy. Plus, an excellent TD. From my end things went very smoothly and Aaron is a big person to thank for that. Plus, he didn't even play in the tournament. Talk about commitment. Thanks again, Aaron.

*Worlds Update.  Andy Powell shared a story with me about a Circle Three he carded at the Worlds.  It's a great story.  He sailed a huge drive that went past the basket, down a hill and out of bounds.  In true Circle Three fashion he nailed the putt.  I figured it was worth mentioning.  It's also worth mentioning that this was the turning point for Andy's Worlds appearance.  Not a positive turning point, but a turning point that sent his play spiraling out of control.  Like I said, true Circle Three fashion.  

*The final word this time goes to me. I don't often take it, but it's my blog and I'll do it if I want to. I'd like to make a pitch for the formats of tournaments at Calais. No, it's not my course and no I wasn't the tournament director, so I probably don't have much to complain about. But complaining is what started this website and complaining is what keeps me going. Personally, I think that two rounds of Golds for amateur players, even advanced amateurs, is a little too much. Sure, we're just one step away from Pros, so you could argue that two rounds of Golds is good practice for us, but I think it could be done differently. If it were up to me, I'd have amateurs play a round of Golds and a round of Blues. Let's be honest, Blues are still challenging (and it's also a beautiful layout) so why not let amateurs play a round of each? Maybe we can get this in place before the Vermont State Finals...

---


6 comments:

  1. Don't forget that you also beat Sissy Pants...errr....I mean Great White Buffalo...derrrr....I mean Murray. As did I and everyone else. Good tie for next to last place by Cave Darter and the Dr. for playing half tourneys. Hats off to Aaron and fellow Calaisians. Amen to a round of blues for the Am1's. No one in AM1 could shoot par on them last year on tourney day. Circle3 hit the nail on the head here-great work as always. Even for a lowlife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of DNF's. Is it fair that people who DNF an event earn points? And a score of 99? That makes it look like they completed the tourney and were only a handful of strokes behind next to last place. Their scores should read 2nd round: 999 total: 999. DNF. 0 points. Everyone else who didn't quit splits the few measly points they would have been given as charity. For example: Dr. Todd and Matt Marro are in a gripping epic battle for 13th place in open right now. Thus every point is crucial. So at Calais Marro struggles but continues to battle through the day and earns next to last place points of 15.38. Well earned. That afternoon round was long and hot. Then right below him, his NEMESIS who is trying to steal his 13th place spot, quits and leaves, and is given 7.69 points! This leaves the good Dr. only .11 points behind his arch rival, who SHOULD be now enjoying a small 20-30 point cushion. I think the current system should be re-visited. DNFers should not receive credit when they Did Not Finish. Any other thoughts on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 99's for for the DNF's was totally arbitrary; I used that value simply to enable the scoring program TourneyTracker to complete the calculations.I suggest points director make a ruling.

      JS

      Delete
  3. Gretchen here. DNF do get 0 points. Johns program has been great for getting scores up pretty quickly (usually within 48 hrs) but the DNFs came in as 99s though he pointed them out I spaces overriding the points assaigned after getting everything else up. If you have questions on points the best thing is to PM or email me -- gkruesi@gmail.com. I'm off on vacation but will update them when I get back.

    Gk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi GK here again. So I've updated the scores with giving DNF 0s - but after to talking to some board members and NEFA members that might not be the final score. My understanding is that we operate under NEFA for tourney rules rules and NEFA's appear to indicate that they would get pts - though it is a bit vague. I've reached out to NEFA and the board is getting back to me on a final decision and then the GMDGC board will make a call on what we should do for the season. I'll post to the GMDGC too when that call is made. More to come....

    GK

    ReplyDelete
  5. After looking to how NEFA calculated their points (you can read the thread here in case you are curious: http://forums.nefa.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10233 ) the board has decided that moving forward here is how we will handle any DNF's.

    Does Not Finish - If a player does not finish (DNF) or is disqualified they will have their attendance count toward a qualifying event for the GMPS (you need to attend a min. of 3), however they will receive zero points for that day. Additionally, they will still be counted toward the calculation of points for their division for the day.

    This has also been updated on the GMPS page: http://www.gmdgc.org/gmps/

    I also posted this on the GMDGC forum here: http://www.gmdgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1355

    Questions? Comments? I'm more likely to respond on the forum posting, or you can always PM or email me (gkruesi@gmail.com)

    GK

    ReplyDelete